Sunday, November 13, 2011

Going Vegan and Blueberry Streusel Muffins

Am I converting to Veganism?  Absolutely not!  While I deeply respect other's decisions to do so, I do not personally have the will power to give up steak for good.  But, I think it is a good idea for both my health and the planet to incorporate at least a couple non-meat meals in my diet per week.  So I bought a vegan cookbook from Costco that looked pretty interesting and started going at it.

I brought some vegan blueberry muffins to a crafting activity yesterday and they seemed to be well-liked (I know I liked them) so I feel I should share.  What is great about these muffins is that they are not overly sweet or oily.  Which means they don't give me heartburn.  So if you like yourself a super sweet, oily muffin, you have come to the wrong place my friend:

Muffins:
1 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour (I use white whole wheat flour from trader joe's, it's cheaper)
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
2/3 c. soy milk (plain)
1 t. vanilla extract
1/3 c. orange juice (I used no sugar added grape juice)
1/3 c. canola oil (while I sued canola oil, I feel this could be replaced with unsweetened apple sauce, so I am going to try that)
1/2 c. sugar (I am not supposed to have sugar, so I use agave syrup making sure to account for the sweetness difference)
1 c. fresh blueberries

Streusel Topping:
2 T. brown sugar
1 T. sugar
2 T. Whole Wheat Flour
2 T. vegan margarine (I am going to try to omit this on my next tray by using agave syrup instead of sugar and then no lipid)
2 T. old-fashioned oats
1 t. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees, spray muffin tins or line with muffin cups and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients except for blueberries, and stir until just barely combined. Fold in blueberries just before filling the muffin tins.

In a small bowl, combine all of the streusel ingredients and with a fork until everything is mixed and crumbly.

Spoon the batter into muffin tins until they are 2/3 full, top with 1 teaspoon of streusel.

Bake for about 20 mins, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

If you follow the original recipe, the muffins are 173 calories each.  Not sure about my frankensteined version, but it is probably pretty close to the same.

The original recipe can also be found on the peas and thank you blog.  This woman is a genius, I recommend reading her blog and buying her cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog, I love to hear words of encouragement, experiences with using my recipes, and ways they could be improved. Keep em' coming!