Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Good and Good For You Banana Bread

My husband has a funny....quirk? I guess you would call it that.  Whenever we go the the store, he insists that we buy bananas.  The reason this is a funny quirk is because he never eats a single one.  He always says that he plans on eating them, but I really think that he just wants them to go overly ripe and force me to make banana bread, which I do.

I was recently discussing this with his sister and my overall plight to eat "clean" and she mentioned a wicked awesome banana bread recipe that she had come across.  She sent it over and I gave it a try, adding in a couple tweaks here and there:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour
1 t. baking powder
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. bakind soda
1/2 t. table salt
1 T. ground flax
2 T. water
9 T. agave syrup
1/2 c. greek yogurt
1/2 c. canola oil
1 c. mashed ripe bananas (about 2 bananas  you can probably mashed them in your mixer before adding in the other ingredients and save dirtying other utensils with which you would mash bananas)
2 t. vanilla extract
1/4 c. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray bottom of 8x 4 inch loaf pan or muffin tin or mini bread loaf pans ( I use them all because I quadruple the recipe since I usually have an entire bunch of bananas to get rid of).

In the bowl of your stand mixer add in the, flax, water, agave syrup, yogurt, oil, banana, and vanilla and mix on med-low until combined.  Add in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt and mix until almost combined.  When your mixture is almost combined, add in the chocolate chips.  You don't want to form too much gluten, so make sure you mix it as little as possible to get everything together.  Gluten formation = tough and chewy.  You may want that in a baguette, but not in your banana bread.  So tell that gluten to chill out and wait until your feeling frenchy.

Pour the batter into your prepared pan.  If you are making muffins or mini bread loaves, fill each one until it is about 2/3 full.

Bake big loaf for 60-70 mins, muffins or mini loaves about 30 mins until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

The result is moist, tender, yummy, and not too sweet and only 90 calories per slice if you slice it up super thin :)  For the muffins, it is about 134 calories, mini loaves will depend on the size of pan you use.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog, I love to hear words of encouragement, experiences with using my recipes, and ways they could be improved. Keep em' coming!